Infraspection Institute Releases New Standard for Infrared Inspection of Solar Panels
Burlington, NJ May 14, 2014 — Infraspection Institute has announced the release of a new standard titled, Infrared Inspection of Installed Photovoltaic (PV) Systems. Covering both ground-based and aerial inspections, the new standard brings to ten the number of standards published by Infraspection Institute pertaining to infrared inspections and non-contact temperature measurement
Jim Seffrin, Director of Infraspection Institute, states, “We are thrilled with the release of our new standard. One of the most common requests among thermographers during the past two years has been a standard for conducting infrared inspections of installed photovoltaic systems. We believe that this standard is the first of its kind and are especially proud that Infraspection has once again responded to the needs of our industry.”
Recognizing the need for standardized procedures, Infraspection Institute began publishing guidelines for thermography in 1993. Since their initial publication, Infraspection Institute guidelines have been adopted by hundreds of companies worldwide and incorporated into documents published by recognized standards organizations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Beginning in 2007, Infraspection Institute guidelines were updated and renamed as standards to reflect their industry-wide acceptance and the best practices they embody.
Ten comprehensive standards are now available from Infraspection Institute. These documents cover equipment operation, temperature measurement, and specific thermographic applications. Current titles include:
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Building Envelopes
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Insulated Roofs
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Electrical Systems & Rotating Equipment
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Installed Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- Standard for Infrared Inspections to Detect Pests and Pest Related Damage
- Standard for Infrared Inspection of Recreational Yachts and Small Craft Constructed of Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic and Composite Materials
- Standard for Measuring Distance/Target Size Values for Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Emittance Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Transmittance of an Attenuating Medium Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
- Standard for Measuring and Compensating for Reflected Temperature Using Infrared Imaging Radiometers
Each Infraspection standard provides simple and straightforward procedures along with the requirements for properly documenting test results. Infraspection application standards provide a blueprint for both specifying and performing infrared inspections and are designed to be incorporated into contract documents. These documents are a ‘must-have’ for anyone who specifies, performs, or oversees infrared inspections.
Seffrin adds, “Our new standard represents the work of many practicing thermographers and other experts. We wish to thank them for their valuable contributions in helping us to respond proactively to thermographer needs and advance our industry once again. We invite every practicing thermographer to add a copy of Infraspection Standards to their reference library.”
Copies of all Infraspection Standards are available in PDF format and may be purchased by calling Infraspection Institute at 609-239-4788 or visiting the Infraspection Online Store.